open new window

Richard White-4
Hi, i am wondering if it is possible to open a new window without a the browsers pop-up blocker stopping it from opening

the code i am using is as follows:

window.open('newWindow.cfm');

but the pop-up blocker stops it from opening

i would appreciate any help

thanks

Re: open new window

Peter Boughton
But the whole point of pop-up blockers is to prevent you doing that.
(because even if you have only good uses for them, there'll be evil
people wanting to throw adverts at people using the same technique)

The easiest solution is probably to ask/tell users to add your website
as an exception (which most if not all popup-blockers will allow) and
then you can pop away to your hearts content. :)

On 10/3/06, Richard White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, i am wondering if it is possible to open a new window without a the browsers pop-up blocker stopping it from opening
>
> the code i am using is as follows:
>
> window.open('newWindow.cfm');
>
> but the pop-up blocker stops it from opening
>
> i would appreciate any help
>
> thanks

Re: open new window

coldfusion.developer@att.net coldfusion.developer@att.net
One way I've found to get a similar effect without having to open a new window is
to use an animated layer. If you're using Dreamweaver, it will walk you though how to use an animated layer. The layer would move onto the screen, over your current page and you could put anything in it, HTML, video, flash movie and place a close button to remove/hide the layer.  It gives you a window over your Web page like a popup without triggering the popup detector.  I love it.  Best thing about it is,
you're keeping the user on your browser/site instead of sending them off to another browser where they could forget they were evey on your site.

Hope this helps.